Welcome To My Journey.
I am a man, a husband, a father, a friend, in search of a lesser lifestyle.
This is my view of this journey and how it intertwines with my family, job, community, and relationship with God.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Getting Ready

Well, I have started a few things the past couple days.

Monday (19th)

     Krysta and I went to a home of a friend who boards horses. He was kind enough to use his tractor to give us a load of horse manure. It sure beats using a shovel. We took it home and to unload it. I used an old roofing company trick. Before getting the manure I placed a car tire at the front of the trailer. I wrapped a logging chain around it, then laid the chain on the bed to the rear of the trailer.When the trailer was full and back home we wrapped the chain around a pole (you could use a tree, tractor, etc.) and pulled forward dragging 80% off the trailer. Krysta & I shoveled the rest. I will cover it with a tarp to keep the rain off and let it season for a while.
I am going to get another load in a day or two.

The right tool for the job.











Notice the tire and the chain.


























Krysta shoveling the manure.











Hard work, good for the soul.











Tuesday (20th)
     I decided to start getting the garden ready. Krysta & I picked 14 water melons that were ready. We took one to a friend who lives down the road. He was not home so we left it on a bench by his front door. I hope he, his wife and his daughter enjoy it. We went through the grass and pulled out 50 little melons so the seeds would not be spread through the garden then I bush-hogged the garden and raked out the grass which I piled up to use in my tire composter. A family friend (Carrol) gave us some free roof shingles for the top of the chicken coop nest boxes. I can't bring myself to buy vinyl for the coop floor so we are just going to paint it I think.

Carrol & Krysta with a spanish moss wig.













Shingles













A watermelon for our friend.













Saved melons & a couple cantaloupes.











Tire composter











     Our neighbor Buddy Stevens came over this afternoon and brought a huge watermelon for us. I cut it right there and we ate it (some of it). It was big so we put half in the fridge. Buddy also brought a big basket of beans. We sat in the shade of our house and shelled them while we ate watermelon and talked, all of us together Buddy,Carla, Steven, Krysta and me. I think that is the part of the lifestyle I am looking for. It was a great end to a great day. A little had work followed by casual conversation with family & friends.

Some shelled, some snapped.













Half a basket left.













Real Family Time. Great time to ask questions and talk.












  
   I have to get to work. Going to get more manure. I guess you can't have too much. Be sure to check out the tire composter and my other videos as I learn to post them.

No comments: